Jun 18, 2012

Something Worth Celebrating

On Parental Hope and Heartbreak was posted on Doves & Serpents at the beginning of this month. I have to say... it was a refreshing read.

I have family members that are under the impression that the greatest failure for them is the fact that I don't hold the same beliefs or understand the world the same way that they do. I didn't realize how pervasive this sentiment was in Mormon culture, at least, I never heard someone articulate it so poignantly until I read the blog post above.

I have to agree with the blog post; it's sad when family members believe that they've failed because a family member is learning and growing. It'd be different if I was being unhealthy and self-destructive. But genuine self-discovery and healthy growth? How's that even worth the energy it takes to mourn? Celebrating a family members growing into himself/herself seems much more productive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?